Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Day 33 Ningaloo Coast

    May 16, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After purchasing some groceries at the beginning of the day we decided to check out the Ningaloo Coast at the Cape Range National Park. It was a 45 minute drive with 3 stops.
    The first stop was the SS Mildura shipwreck. The SS Mildura used to be a cattle ship in 1907. It was carrying 484 bullocks when it was caught in a cyclone and crashed into a reef. The captain had successfully travelled this region 68 times but, because of the crash, he was suspended for three months. The bullocks were left to swim to shore which was a mile away, but most of them drowned. The ship then became a bombing target practice site for the Australian Airforce in 1942.
    The second stop was a lighthouse used in WWII. The last place we stopped at was an information centre which taught us about the area and the animals that reside there.
    Once we arrived at Turquoise Beach we when snorkelling. There was a very strong current pulling out to sea which we had to be careful of. We saw lots of different fish and met some very friendly fish called Black Spotted Darts.
    After finishing at the beach we returned back to the camp to have our showers and play in the pool.
    Tomorrow we are taking a tour out on a boat to swim with the whale sharks. I'm very excited!
    Read more