Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    TO DUNEDIN AND TE ANAU

    March 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    An early start on Monday had us heading to Dunedin, we passed through the centre of the island. The land is not very fertile and is irrigated to feed the sheep and cattle. We stopped at Koekohe beach to see the spherical shaped Moeraki Boulders along the way then on to Dunedin where we were taken for a quick view of the city from one of the high points.
    We then went to the railway station for a 4hr return train journey on the Taieri Gorge Railway. The train ride was brought forward as 2 passenger ships were due in today and the train was needed to transfer passengers from port to town.
    It was a very long day as it was after 6.30pm before we got to the hotel which was worth waiting for. It is only just over a year old, we had a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom but had trouble trying to work the shower as it had a button to push to turn on the water, had to get the girl from the desk to show us what to do.
    We had a free morning to wander around Dunedin this morning, leaving after lunch for TeAnau. We apparently travelled through some of the best country on the island to get here. Very small farms but lots of sheep and cattle. The countryside was quite green and only a small amount of irrigation.
    Another early start tomorrow as we leave at 7.30 for an approx 6 hr wilderness cruise on Doubtful sound.
    Photos
    At Moeraki Boulders
    Moeraki Boulders
    View of Dunedin Harbour
    Taieri Gorge
    Taieri Gorge
    Railway Station
    Read more