Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    QUEENSTOWN

    March 10, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Friday morning we went on a 4WD Safari through Skippers Canyon carved out by the Shotover river to Skipper which was an old gold mining town in the late 1880s to 1930s. We must have travelled at least 50km and the road was not much more than a track and very windy as we came over the mountain and down to the Shotover river. The school building and cottage are still there and have been restored to good condition. On the way back we stopped and panned for gold in the river, Jan found a few specks but lost them when the water leaked from her jar and I have one speck if you can find it in the water. The driver gave us a few thrills as we sped around some of the bends on the way back.
    We spent the afternoon looking around Queenstown before having our 'freedom of choice' dinner at Walter Peak High Country farm. To get there we travelled on the TSS Earnslaw Vintage Steamship up Lake Wakatipu to the farm. After the meal there was a demonstration by the two sheepdogs bringing in a few sheep and a demo of a sheep being shorn before reboarding the steamship. They had a pianist on board who lead a singsong of all the old 60 and 70 songs so helped pass the 45 minute return trip, we didn't get back until 10.30.
    This morning (Saturday) we walked around the edge of the lake to the gardens to see the rose garden but the roses weren't any thing very special. We then took the Gondola to the top of the mountain and had lunch up there and had very good views of Queenstown and surrounding area. Could have gone Bungy jumping or taken a luge ride while up there but Jan wasn't interested, she wasn't too sure about the gondola but did enjoy it. Having a quiet afternoon catching up on washing etc. The town is very much up and down and a very steep walk back up to the hotel, even the passages in the hotel are on slopes.
    Photos
    Walter Peak Homestead
    TSS Earnslaw steamship
    Shotover river and Skippers Gorge
    Bridge at Skipper over Shotover River
    Gondola
    View of Queenstown from top
    Read more