Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    ON THE ROAD TO THE BAY OF ISLES

    March 21, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Today was a long day of travelling from Rotorau to the Bay of Isles with only toilet breaks and a lunch stop. We by passed Auckland via the motorway as the traffic is much heavier than the South Island, there is also a big difference in population. The South Island has 1 million and the north Island 4 1/2 million. We were given a quick tour of the town where we are staying for 2 nights. It will be an early 7.15am start for our choice of options tomorrow as we are going to Cape Reinga the most northerly point of NZ.
    Wednesday- it was a long day but very enjoyable as we didn't get back until 6pm. We travelled 480 km and approx 100km of that was on the beach and stream.
    North of here is only a narrow peninsular with only one main road but the west coast is the 90 Mile beach which is also a dedicated road for tourist buses to travel on when the tide is out. The tide was out this morning so we travelled up the beach which is quite firm when they know where to drive, we also had to travel up a stream which was a bit more tricky as there wasn't much water in so the track softer. Along the way we stopped for those on board to go sand boarding down a steep dune which was quite interesting, the walk up was the hardest part.
    We had quite a walk to get to the light house at Cape Reinga which is the most northerly point on the Island, the Pacific Ocean and Tasman Sea also meet here. We came back to Paihia via the main central road stopping at a place where they do wood carvings with Kauri timber which is said to be 45,000 years old.
    Photos
    Driving along 90 mile beach
    Walking up the sand dune
    At the top
    Sand boarding down
    Cape Reigne lighthouse
    45,000 year old timber
    Read more