Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Son thuy home stay day 1 to 7

    September 3, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Our trip has come to a slight pause here in Ha Giang. We arrived tired after a cramped 8 hour bus ride, and annoyed at being dropped half an hours walk from our home stay. As we walked in though, we suddenly felt better. Despite the builders doing work on the building, it was a lovely place, and the family were very welcoming.
    The first night was an eye opener. A group of Vietnamese men invited us to eat with them after we had ordered double what we meant to by accident only an hour before. After forcing down more food, including what Matt thought was mushroom but turned out to be frog, we were shown the wonders of corn wine. Tastes like tequila, but a little weaker (thank god). It seemed to be every minute that we were asked to do another shot! As we turned down an offer for a night of karaoke, the family who own the house offered us some beers. We were happy to accept, and soon found ourselves drinking beers with them and eating more food!
    The next day we decided would be a rest day after all the alcohol consumed the night before and all the walking in sapa. We didn't realise at this point just how many rest days we would be having here.
    As the third day rolled round, we decided to rent a moped and explore the mountains of northern Vietnam. An easy task for a first time rider. Or maybe not as we soon learnt. About an hour in we fall down, Amy and the moped landing on me. Luckily a garage up the road fix the bike for pennies and a nice woman heals my wounds (for the first time).
    The next day I'm in the hospital getting a tetanus injection and realising I am in more pain then I thought. Luckily the weather's good and there is a pool to dip in (for amy).
    Friday comes round and my foot has swollen a lot! Of all the places to be in this much pain though, this is a good one. The family look after me and the days are good fun!
    Saturday is national Vietnam day! We walk downstairs unaware of the party we are walking into. More corn wine and good food (despite Amy now being a vegetarian after a very early morning killing of a pig that we could hear in our room) and offers of trips through the mountains. My foot needs rest though, so we decline and retire back to the pool for another day of sun.
    Sunday my foot feels slightly better and we decide it's nearly time to move on. The final night is spent like most of the others, drinking beer and eating food we don't really recognise. Tonight's menu was oysters and mushrooms. We will miss this place!
    Read more