Satellite
  • Day 32

    Midtown Hotel, Phong Nha, Day 4

    September 20, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 7 °C

    Our final day in Phong Nha before we move on to Hue tomorrow and we decide to head to Bong Lay (probably spelt wrong) valley. Again my bike had no brakes, but this time I knew to walk down hills instead of flying down them.
    After riding for a bit on the highway we pull off onto a small stoney/sandy/gravel road which almost makes bike riding impossible. Our first stop is called the Duck Stop. We are treated to a cold bucket of water over our heads and some peanuts but decline the Duck feeding tour. After working with ducks for years, it didn't seem necessary to do it again yet.
    After that we went a place called 'the pub with cold beer'. It was great fun and we even got a rubber ring each to float down the lake. We didn't stay in it long though as we soon found out the current was going the wrong way and they are very hard to steer.
    Finally, the wild boar eco farm, which is basically a restaurant with a pig pen in the front. The views were great, as was the food. The stuff that really struck me about the valley though was the friendliness of the locals. Everyone shouted hello and waved as we cycled along. It was a great way to end our stay here!
    On the night we went out to eat and whilst we were sat eating another lovely meal, the electricity came back on! The air con had returned. We rushed back and slept well for the first time in a while.
    That was until Amy woke to go to the loo, and on returning noticed a spider in our room that was bigger then any I had seen in England. We waited for a while frozen on the bed in fear until it left the room. We left the light on for the rest of the night and finally managed to get back to sleep. The nights here have been very eventful!
    Read more