Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    2001, Pai, Day 1

    December 12, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We finally get a chance for a lie in, and we desparately needed it. Today we have to brace ourselves for the drive to Pai. A drive that is known to be one of the most vomit inducing that South East Asia has to offer.
    We get some breakfast and head off just after 12. After a few of the 762 bends this road offers, we know it is going to be a long journey. We fly up the mountain swinging this way and that. It is truly a crazy road that if attempted with a hangover would probably make someone a teetotaler by the end. The views are quite incredible though, as we climb higher and higher up the side of one of the hills and stare over the tops of the others. Surprisingly, the sound of someone retching behind me only occurs once on the journey, as most people manage to hold it in until we arrive in Pai. When we step out of the mini bus we all feel like kissing the flat land as if we have just finished a very rough boat journey.
    Pai is a lovely town, and we feel excited to be here. Immediately we cross a bamboo bridge and we are onto the walking street where our hotel is. After we walk past it a couple of times we find it and drop our bags off before heading out for some food at the night market. The market is amazing, with most of the food on offer being 25p or less. I end up eating loads of spring rolls and fried chicken, and amy has a curry wrap kind of thing which is lovely.
    We were worried about the heat in the room as we only have a fan to keep us cool, but we soon realise we shouldn't have been. As soon as the Sun drops below the mountains the temperature plummets. It is lovely to have cold nights and we sleep well. We are still knackered after the non stop time in Thailand so plan a day of relaxing tomorrow.
    Read more