Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Mindat & Beyond

    November 13, 2017 in Myanmar ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Each morning of the trek we started the day with a symphony of sounds - rooster, pig and the odd duck. We were never quite sure what time this cacophony would start, it was always early!

    The scenery we walked through was stunning, lush and green through tiny villages growing amazing vegetables, beautiful flowers and loads of children. Families here often have 10 or more.

    What surprised us was the churches - most of this area is Christian with an animist twist. They haven't quite relinquished the old superstitions but they've embrace the teachings of the Church so it wasn't unusual to see sacrificial stakes and animal skulls alongside Christian crosses.

    People are always curious and always friendly. We felt safe as we negotiated the slippery pathways and creek crossings on our way to the 3,000m summit of Mt Victoria. The people may be poor but we were always welcomed with a smile.

    At one of the villages we were treated as honoured guests with singing and dancing. The ladies wore colourful outfits and many of them had the traditional tattoos on their faces. The men discharged their rifles and started dancing. The whole village turned out to watch, making it a special highlight of our trek.
    Read more