Satellit
  • Tag 17

    Mt Victoria

    16. November 2017 in Myanmar ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    This trek has offered us so many different experiences with accommodation ranging from local homes to a guest house with no doors with a hot bucket shower and flushing loos outside. Our last night was spent in a tent in the howling wind, freezing cold with no facilities except Mother Nature.

    The summit of Mt Victoria at 3000 metres was cold and when we arrived it was wet and miserable too. The Buddha crouched on the summit was shrouded in mist - great for photos but not conducive to staying out in the weather.

    The next morning we awoke to mist and fog our fingers crossed that we would get the spectacular sunrise that we had hoped for. Just when we had almost given up in despair, the skies cleared and we were treated to another stunning Myanmar sunrise. Our Buddha was bathed in the beautiful light and we just kept on taking pictures. It was worth the hike up there just for that.

    As we headed back to Bagan the weather cleared and as we descended into the valley below it was hot and humid once more. We passed through Kampathet a British hill station where ex-pats escaped from the heat in Bagan and saw a hundred year old oilfield also part of the British legacy.

    Once we got back to Bagan, a really hot shower and a foot massage were the minimum we were going to accept as our reward for a great trek. Wine and pizza finished the day, my last one with the group before going solo once more.
    Weiterlesen