Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Bonnie Scotland

    August 27, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We’re now in Scotland and after beautiful weather with a bit of rain we’re having our first rainy day on Iona. We’ve stayed in some beautiful places – on the edge of a deer park in Queensferry with an amazing view of the Firth of Forth and a cute little hotel in Friars Wynd in Stirling.

    The sense of history here is amazing – everywhere you go there’s information about historical events from our school days or things that were completely new to me, like the break in the Scottish Church to form the Free Church of Scotland.

    Iona however is something completely different, Along with Australia, it has some of the oldest geology on the planet, 2.8 billion years or thereabouts. We’re staying in a lovely old hotel with its own organic garden which provides the vegetables and salads that we’re eating.

    St Columba came here from Ireland at the beginning of the 7th century so people come here to see where he landed at St Columba’s Bay. It’s a beautiful place to walk and enjoy the lovely white sandy beaches.

    The weather in Ireland and Scotland has been much better than I imagined and not nearly as cold as we expected. You’ll hear from me again when we get to Greece where we expect it to be sunny and warm!
    Read more