Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Back in the city

    August 26, 2022 in Georgia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Well the hiking is over and I’m back in Tbilisi making the most of a nice hotel and enjoying the sights of the city. It’s a busy crazy place full of tourists but it isn’t quite as hot as it was before we headed into the mountains.

    Georgia really has a rich and interesting history but also one of invasion and occupation. There are some amazing artefacts in the museum dating from the 4th and 3rd centuries B.C. onwards – beautiful pieces of jewellery in silver and gold set with semi-precious stones.

    There are churches on almost every corner, cobbled streets in the old town and strange modern buildings that look a little out of place. And the traffic, crazy, noisy and constant. There are multiple tunnels under the road to allow pedestrians to cross –there are very few lights and you can’t always guarantee that the cars will stop at a pedestrian crossing without them.

    The old town is much quieter – some streets are very narrow so not so much traffic just lots of people. There are restaurants and bars everywhere and also galleries and tourist shops. Georgian food and wine is inexpensive and if you can’t find something to eat here you aren’t trying.

    I’ve enjoyed my time in Armenia and Georgia – I’m glad I got to come here because Georgia in particular faces an uncertain future and the young people are worried about what comes next. It’s definitely worth coming to this part of Europe, it’s quite unique, interesting and beautiful.
    Read more