Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Hong Kong

    June 17, 2018 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We flew into Hong Kong this afternoon aboard an old, creaky 767. Same airline, but we went from the penthouse to the outhouse pretty quickly with our rides.

    Hong Kong airport is huge and the road, bridge, and tunnel projects that accompanied it’s 1998 completion are expansive.

    After arriving at our hotel,we washed the 30 hour funk off ourselves and headed out for dinner. We ended up at a dim sum place. It was good, but you can get better back home.

    A few observations:

    There are a lot of people here.
    Most seem to use transit. Besides having a comprehensive and efficient subway system, there appears to be 10 times as many buses on the roads as cars.
    It’s very humid. I have clothing sticking to body parts it has no right sticking to.
    Everyone seems to hang their laundry out off the side of their apartment with whatever jerry-rigged system they can come up with.
    It’s literally raining on the sidewalks from the thousands of window air conditioners dripping condensation from above.
    They love their animals. We walked 1 block with no less that 20 pet stores. Birds, rabbits, turtles, UFT’s (unidentifiable furry things). Now either these shops are full of future Buttercup’s, Bunny’s and Cuddle’s,or they are restaurant supply stores - it’s a fine line.
    I saw bamboo scaffolding today. Bamboo scaffolding!
    Read more