Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Stupid Train

    June 27, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Worst. Train. Ever.
    My fears came true today with our shitty train ride from Hue to Da Nang. The train left 1 1/2 hours late, ran slower than scheduled, had little to no a/c, and had roaches and rodents as passengers.
    We sat in the steaming death box for a good 45 minutes before departing due to the single track line being occupied with another train, and it went downhill from there. All in all an awful, awful ride. We’ve been very happy with the Vietnamese airlines we’ve been flying on, but the train - never again.

    We did meet a mid-20’s British woman who has travelled extensively and is currently on a 6 month solo trek through Nepal, Vietnam, and India. She said she has never really felt unsafe anywhere but could do without the constant marriage proposals she receives as a single female traveller.

    We met up with our driver at the Da Nang train station and had an uneventful 30 minute drive to Hoi An. We really like Hoi An, in particular the area where we are staying. It has a bit more of a European flavour to it, very laid back. We will be checking out the beach sometime in the next couple of days which will be a nice change. We had a mix of Vietnamese and western food for dinner tonight, and are planning on having Greek tomorrow night because isn’t that what you go to Vietnam for?
    And Germany just got knocked out of the World Cup - god dammit!
    Read more