Satellite
  • Day 23

    Tokyo Rocks

    July 7, 2018 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    Final post

    Yesterday we visited our favourite ladies in Hong Kong for breakfast. When we arrived all the tables were occupied, but the head snarky lady handled that for us. Four walking in vs one poor lady sitting at a table for 4, not quite finished with her breakfast. Guess who lost that battle. I don’t know what was said to her but she finished her food in about 5 seconds and scooted out.

    Hong Kong restaurant etiquette lesson #15. It was raining, hard, when we arrived at the restaurant. Three of us had umbrellas (the lone abstainer was the 53 year old male who turns his wet nose up at umbrellas). Do not walk into a restaurant in Hong Kong with a wet, dripping umbrella, unless you want a Cantonese tongue lashing. A stack of long narrow plastic bags are provided at the front for the umbrella to be wrapped in. Don’t be a stupid tourist.

    Our flight from Hong Kong to Tokyo was nice. We were on a new 777 with massive amounts of leg room. I could sit with my legs fully stretched and I still had a good 6 “ more leg room. Approximately 2/3 of that plane was first class/business class seating, so obviously a high revenue route. When we arrived in Tokyo we had to go through further security screening for our connecting flight to Vancouver. It was while we were loading our belongings into the plastic bins the floor started bouncing and rolling under our feet, lasting for about 15 - 20 seconds. Our first, and hopefully last, Tokyo earthquake. We found out a little later it was a 5.9 magnitude quake. I’ve felt a few jolts over the years living in the lower mainland but this was the first one I’ve experienced that has lasted for an extended amount of time. We narrowly missed the Osaka earthquake 3 weeks ago so I guess we were due.

    We were on a Dreamliner again for this leg of the trip. They carry some live tv channels so I was able to watch both World Cup matches, which is a damn nice way to spend some time while flying.

    We were met at YVR by Port Moody’s top Uber driver, Mr. Ken, (in spite of the advertised complimentary beverages being a no show, he still gets 5 stars), who greeted us with the sign pictured below. About 2 weeks too late with that but it’s the thought that counts.
    Read more