Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    "Our wine is kind of wet"

    February 5, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Here we are again. Later in the day than last time and just as lucky with the weather. In 2016 when we arrived at the parking lot it was all hazy and foggy and we were afraid the hike up to the summit would end up in the clouds with no view at all. We were proven wrong - after we pushed through the clouds the air was crystal clear while the neighboring Pico was still covered in haze.

    This time the air was almost warm and clear right from start but it got much colder and somewhat hazy the closer we came to the top. The all over view was better than the first time but the air lacked that liquid transparency.
    The minute we started to return the sun was moving to the West and wet clouds started racing up the mountain from the South of the island. Temperatures dropped fast and we were surprised to find the South in cloudy haze while the north was clearing up.

    So it was worth doing it all over again.

    Besides being a lot of fun and incredibly impressive it also was somewhat weird. Watching all those white sneakers, those fancy outfits, those small dogs being tortured up and down the mountain, all those selfie-sticks producing social media crap as we are doing now 😂

    And the winner is...a fancy fake fur jacket pushing glittering slippers up the mountain range...

    We had a wonderful dinner at a nice little place in Santana (Samba Pa Ti, if you know what I mean) and the guy serving us had a great humor: "What wine do you serve?" - "The one in bottles upon the shelve". "You have a dry red wine?". "Sorry, ours is just kind of wet" - we had lots of fun, an excellent dinner and extraordinary service.
    Read more