Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Isle of Capri

    September 2, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    Capri

    Love is where you find it, or more accurately, where you want to find it. The same can be said for fun.

    Our day trip to Capri turned out to be less what we expected and more of what we wanted.
    The highlight of the day was supposed to be the lovely views of and around the island, highlighted by a visit to the Blue Grotto. The sea cave glowing sapphire blue from under the sea and throughout the cave. Unfortunately, the grotto was closed, as was the green grotto. Two of the four caves we were to see, supposedly the best two caves, were closed.

    Exploring the Isle is a big thing too. But we never left the port area. Long lines and travel issues kept us from exploring the island.

    But the day was not lost. It was still our day. It included a fabulous boat ride, shopping, swimming and a boat loaded with honeymooners, anniversaries and the newly engaged. Englanders, Canadians, Irish and Aussies shared joy with us. We enjoyed enchanting stories of the villas and restaurants they had experienced. Every story, every comment, every review positive.

    Approaching the Isle of Capri, we passed through the Faraglioni. Three rock structures - one an arch, lifting up above the sea. Of course, the tour operator calls the arch "Lover's Arch". Mr. Google has no idea that the arch is so named.... but we were happy to oblige. As we passed through the arch.... it was kisses all around

    Like the mountians of the mainland that had awed us, the view around the Isle took our breath as well. Even without the benefit of the two most popular caverns, the third cavern, a shallow cave of glowing emerald green water filled our imagination of what could have been.

    We didn't see much on the island itself. We never left the port area. Hundreds per hour on the chairlift and thousands taking the train. The lines were long. And the lines led to other lines. Simply not what we wanted. The truth be told, we were self absorbed. Instead of just following the crowd, we shopped, had lunch and enjoyed each other. We relaxed. We shopped. We had a lunch. A limone gelato or strawberry gelato Then we enjoyed another boat ride back, a swim and the glorious sunshine.

    It was a fun day. A day of us.
    Read more