Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Peter & Mary in the Venice Regatta

    September 3, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Last night Mary washed my shirt, she has done an almightily job with the washing, only been to the launderette once, and washed twice at friends places - and yet I have always had a full supply of clean clothes. The problem with last nights washing was - I had left my valid water ferry ticket in the pocket.

    Today I was very keen to take the ferry up the Grand Canal. We went to the ticket office but the lady could not give me a replacement because all the writing and been washed off. For a laugh, she tried the card on the magnetic reader and surprise - it still worked. Without hesitation I boarded the next ferry. Seeing Venice from the water via all the canals is important because this is the way the city is meant to be seen - you get to see the front of the buildings. It was a bright sunny day and we thoroughly enjoyed the boat ride - especially under the Rialto bridge. And by the way, four James Bond movies have included scenes from the canal.

    When we got off the ferry we went for a walk in the market in the Castello area, having already explored the San Marco and Rialto areas. We stopped for a drink and Mary had another Aperol. The annual Venice Historical Regatta was on today, the crowds were big, VIP's were in town, there was to be a parade of VIP's include the Doge's boat, historical craft and boat races.

    The Regatta was due to start at around 2pm so we had time for a walk through the San Paolo area. It was nice to see tall trees in some parts - most of Venice is pavement or water. We got back to the Rialto Bridge but nothing was happening. I stood in the sun and took some photos while Mary stayed in the shade - it was getting a bit boring especially as we couldn't understand what was being said in the public address. We decided to have our Gondola ride - €80 for 25 minutes in the Grand Canal and up some side canals.

    The Gondolier pulled out into the middle of the canal, between police and media boats. The crowds were 10 deep and lined the shores and every vantage point - we waved, they waved back, one pretty young girl even made a heart symbol in her hands for us. We took photos of the crowd and they took photos of us - think I was humming the final lines of "the little white bull"!

    We then turned down a side canal - it was so quiet. Gondola rides are a must have in Venice, even if you have been on one before. We went past Marco Polo's house - he apparently went to China for 25 years? We passed the oldest palace in Venice, still used as a family home.

    Now it was time to return to the moorning - but the Grand Parade had started. We pulled out in front of the Doge's boat which had 19 rowers, priests and drummers and old trumpet horns players, we swerved and missed them - but more were coming, VIP boats, boats with royalty [dress ups I think] and more. They were coming up the Canal ... and we were going down. The crowds were cheering - not at us I expect. Our Gondolier kept looking for a place to cross through the parade - he tried to claim right of way against a dragon boat of women in pink - no chance, they screamed at him and pointed at us - I expect that they were saying he was putting the lives of his passengers at risk! Eventually a school boy crew was coming up the canal and our man just bullied his way through - safely to our moorning - what an adventure - and the best seat in the house to see the Grand Parade. A trip of a life time.

    The camera was full so we came back to the hotel to load photos onto the computer and to unravel what we had just been through.

    Being a good Boy Scout, I then went to the ferry terminal to check on times for our ferry to the airport tomorrow - no problems ferries at 20 mins past and 50 mins past the hour.

    Dinner was at a local pizza shop then home to get ready from tomorrow.

    Tomorrow we fly to Stockholm via Copenhagen.

    Cheers,
    Read more