Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Contrasts

    December 11, 2016 in Argentina ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    My hostel is on microcento. That is, surprisingly, the center. Save area (at least that's what they say. No, honestly, everything fine here.) The townhall, offices, 5 star hotels. With Buenos Aires' longest car free shopping street. All the more or less expensive shops you expect.

    Then was on a walking tour, city centre, ending in Recoleta. Gucci, Armani, to name a few. Very expensive area.

    And I visited La Boca. There is an art museum (David Lachapelle exhibition. Free!). The area where the museum is is very arty. Bit run down but museums, galleries, street art.

    Later I was smuggled into the after party of a polo match, tricked ourselfs into the VIP area for free drinks. Very posh people, chinos and white shirts, the ladies wearing nice dresses, very British, very upper class (very bad music. You should not put techno music on top of Soundgarden.)

    When you walk one or two streets further into La Boca the area changes. More run down, obviously poor people. And the police telling you that it is not recommended to go further if you look like a tourist. Which I obviously do, being too white for the area and wearing too expensive closes. So you better go back.

    Nobody goes to the expensive shopping street any more after dark. It is taken over by homeless people sleeping there.

    I passed a street in the middle of last night with a bus, market stalls are lining the street. And at 3 a clock in the morning there are still the people owning the stuff. They live there, in, under, on top if there stalls.

    When coming home from the metro to my hostel I have to cross the street (well, the widest avenue in the world. 175 meters. So crossing is a bit too weak for what you actually have to do). I remember the place where to cross from the place where a couple of homeless people live... Also there are people sleeping on the greens in the middle of that street.
    Read more