Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Thursday island

    February 25 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    Thursday Island, population 2800, area 1.4 square miles, was an unexpected treat. Just in case you are wondering there is also a Tuesday Island, a Wednesday Island and a Friday Island. So why did we stop at Thursday Island? It was a WWII defense setting with a fort and cannons never used, is one of the northern Australian islands and is the center for Australian cusoms and border control for the 29 northern islands. In the past pearling was a major industry. Now fishing and government services are the core of its economy.

    After being tendered onto the island and while awaiting a tour to start a local approached and offered to show me around. He was an off duty border control agent married to an on duty officer. He showed me the best birding spots, the best photo spots, the schools, churches and so on. At the end we went to the Customs House and met his wife. She explained that they monitor for illegal trade, immigration and fishing. They are just a few miles from Papua New Guinea which is somewhat corrupt. Also the First People have family units that are split between Austalian and Papua New Guinea. A great time with a local couple.
    Read more