Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Mekong Delta

    March 11 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    A long trip to the Mekong Delta area. The problem with the large, modern Ho Chi Minh port facility is its distance to the city and to the other side of the city. It is only about 10 miles but those 10 miles take 1.5 to 2 hours to cover. So the Mekong Delta was 2 hours to get there, 3.5 hours on various boats, 1 hour for lunch, 1 hour looking at riverside markets and 2 hours to get back. I know this only adds up to 9.5 hours but in reality it was 11.

    Despite this I was glad I went. The Mekong river looks as big as the Mississippi. Twenty percent of Vietnamese live in the Delta and the river flows through China, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. Its delta is very fertile, growing rice, corn, melons, cucumbers and numerous fruit. And, of course, there are fish both wild and farmed. As we left the big city for the rural area we saw more evidence of poverty sometimes along side more affluent structures. The Delta featured muddy water, various levels of housing, water hyacinth choking the water way, floating markets and even a resort. It didn't look air conditioned so don't rush to make a reservation!

    Lunch featured elephant fish (so called because its shape resembled an elephant ear), various herbs, chicken and rice. Lots of vegetables.

    Tomorrow we leave and head toward Thailand.
    Read more