Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 139

    Greenich UK, the last stop

    8 maja, Anglia ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Last stop on the cruise. On the way down the Thames River we passed through the Thames Barrier, a retractable barrier designed to protect London from flooding. We are anchored in the middle of the Thames River with a floating dock attached to the ship. To go ashore we catch an Uber clipper that takes us to the shore.

    We are directly across from Geenwich, part of London's metropolitan area. Originally most of London's port business was done here but a new port facility was constructed down river where it was wider and deeper to accommodate huge container ships.

    The town used to be a working class area but has gentrified and has become very desirable and expensive property. There is quite a bit of history. We saw the Royal Navy Observatory the site of longitude 0 and thus Greenwich Mean Time. There is also the Queens House, commissioned in 1613 by Queen Anne. It was the first classical style building in England.

    Two modern buildings visible from our ship are the Shard, tallest building in UK and Europe and the Pickle notable for its use of glass.

    Sadly our journey has ended. Tomorrow we fly to Houston.
    Czytaj więcej