Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Matthias Church

    June 28, 2016 in Hungary ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Matthias Church is over 700 years old. The church was the scene of several coronations, including that of Charles IV in 1916, the last Habsburg king. It was also the venue for the great Hungarian King Matthias' two weddings, hence its name.

    The history of the church serves as a symbol of the city’s rich past. The eastern gate of the church was built in the 13th century, when Buda was founded following the Mongolian invasion. The central part of the church was built around 1400, and from the 14th century, monarchs were crowned here as kings. In the 15th century, King Matthias’ royal wedding was also held here. During the Turkish conquest, soon after Buda was captured, the church became the city’s main mosque. The walls were whitewashed and covered with carpets. After the Turkish occupation, Buda lay in ruins. In the 17th century, an attempt was made to restore the church in Baroque style.

    Towards the end of the 19th century, a major reconstruction took place, and the building was restored using many original parts and regained much of its former splendour. The roof is covered with the famous ceramic tiles, making the building even more beautiful. Today, Matthias Church remains one of the city’s most prominent buildings.
    Read more