Satellite
  • Day 22

    Buso Legend and Family hosted Lunch

    July 1, 2016 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Back on the bus and off to a rural house for some morning tea and story telling about the Buso Legend. It was so much fun and the morning tea was yum.

    The story below explains the legend.

    According to the most popular legend, during the Ottoman times of the territory, people from Mohács fled the town, and started living in the nearby swamps and woods to avoid Ottoman troops. One night, while they were sitting and talking around the fire, an old Šokac man appeared suddenly from nowhere and said to them "Don't be afraid, your lives will soon turn to good and you'll return to your homes. Until that time, prepare for the battle, carve various weapons and scary masks for yourselves, and wait for a stormy night when a masked knight will come to you. He disappeared as suddenly as he arrived. The refugees followed his orders, and some days later, on a stormy night, the knight arrived. He ordered them to put on their masks and go back to Mohacs, making as much noise as possible. They followed his lead. The Turks were so frightened by the noise, the masks, and the storm in the night, that they thought demons were attacking them and they ran away from the town before sunrise.

    In the older, less popular story, the Busos are scaring away not the Turks but Winter itself. In any case, the locals have celebrated the Busójárás in early February every year ever since, hosting guest from neighbouring countries .

    The family hosted lunch was lovely. The home was nice and had a large backyard where they grew vegetables. The stories of the war and how they coped during and after were very interesting. Currently the wife and daughter live in Germany as the wife is a qualified nurse and has much better opportunities in Germany for her and their daughter. The father and son live at home, the son will finish school in a year or two and father is returning from the army. They will then look at options and decide on their future in Croatia or possibly Germany.
    Read more