Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 10

    Barfold Olives

    22 de julio de 2019, Australia ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Back on the road this time for a short drive out of Kyneton to Barfold.

    Barfold Olives was our destination as we both like olives and a good olive oil.

    The olive grove is family run and we met both Pam and Sandra who are mother and daughter in law, Jason the son was not on the farm at the time.

    George (now passed away), Pam and Jason purchased the land (40 acres) in July 1999 and from November 1999 through to the end of 2001, approx. 2200 table and oil varieties were planted in three stages, along with extensive irrigation works. In 2004, they installed a 50kg per hour processing machine, but soon realized that we needed a much larger processing machine. So in time for the 2006 harvest, they installed a state-of-the-art 400kg per hour processing machine. .But on Saturday, February 7, 2009 their efforts and dreams, were destroyed by the Black Saturday fires – their homes, workshops, processing facilities and business, equipment, cars and tractors were reduced to rubble, and the olive trees and fruit were scorched. Some 12 days later, with a massive effort by a group of their friends, local people, and people they didn’t know, the irrigation system was restored, and they were able to water the damaged trees. Gradually the olive trees started shooting mainly from the base in the form of water shoots, but some not so badly scorched, re-grew leaves in the canopy. So in 2011 following the rain over the past 12 months, they had their first crop of olives – although a small one, since the fires. Just goes to show you how olives can be so resilient.

    We tasted heaps of lovely olive oils and olives and purchased bottles of olive oil and olives. Pamthen took us on a tour of the working area in the shed, it was very informative

    Melissa we did not get any for you but we can order them online and have some delivered.

    After our tasting and tour it was time to head back to our little house in the bush.

    Afternoon tea was now in order so I made doughnuts in the pie maker, they were scrumptious.
    Leer más