Satellite
  • Day 15

    Not so Wetlands

    July 27, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    After lunch we went for a walk to a local attraction near the resort as the description sounded great and the front desk staff also said it was a nice place to visit.
    This is the write up about the Wetlands in a brochure: "Located east of the resort, just a short walk down the road, there is a variety of wildlife to be observed from the viewing platforms and boardwalks. Enjoy the wonderful diversity of the wildlife and woodland."

    Once at the start of the Wetlands this is the description.

    "Kinnairds Wetland is part of a larger natural wetland (a prior stream depression). Covering an area of 93 hectares of natural and constructed wetlands, Kinnairds Wetland is part of a scheme designed to provide major regional drainage benefits for land in the Muckatah Catchment. The wetland is fed by flows from the Muckatah Surface Water Management Scheme, which has a 600 km² catchment, beginning in Yarrawonga. The natural and constructed areas of the wetland act as a retarding basin. This aids in filtering sediments and nutrients, and minimises the rate of flows entering the Broken Creek to the south, which eventually flows into the Murray River in the Barmah Forest".

    However, what we saw was 1 bird, a small creek and mostly dry river beds and dead trees and grasses. Not really a wetland. When we left the area we actally saw more bird life in the land near our resort.

    We then drove into town for some groceriers. It was like a ghost town almost everything was shut even though it was before 3pm on Saturday afternoon. One supermarket was open but I only purchased things for dinner tonight and breaky tomorrow, as it was really expensive. We will be out tomorrow and I am sure I will be able to find a Woolworths or Coles were I can finish shopping at a decent proce. I don't usually worry about how much things are but this was really noticeable. The tiny tins of baked beans for example were nearly $2 a can, tomatos were $9.99 a kilo and they were horrible, the stawberries were Ok at $3,99 a punnet.

    Back at the resort for the day, our activites start tomorrow.
    Read more