Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Baba Vida

    July 4, 2016 in Bulgaria ⋅ 28 °C

    The construction of the fortress began in the 10th century. Baba Vida served as Vidin's main defensive installation during the course of the Middle Ages and acted as the most important fortress of north western Bulgaria. The Baba Vida stronghold stood an eight month long siege by Byzantine forces led by Basil II, but was destroyed and once again erected during the rule of Ivan Stratsimir. Between 1365 and 1369, the fortress was in Hungarian hands. Vidin was suddenly attacked by the forces of Louis I of Hungary, but it took several months to conquer Baba Vida. In 1369, Ivan Stratsimir managed to regain control of his capital, albeit having to remain under Hungarian over lordship. In 1388, the Ottomans invaded Stratsimir's lands and in 1396 Stratsimir joined an anti-Ottoman crusade led by the King of Hungary. The crusade ended in the disastrous Battle of Nicopolis at Nikopol, Bulgaria, with the Ottomans capturing most of Stratsimir's land in 1397.

    The fortress played a role during the Ottoman rule of Bulgaria, serving as a weapon warehouse and a prison, also as residence for Osman Pazvantoglu, as it has been no longer used for defensive purposes since the end of the 18th century.

    Today, Baba Vida castle functions as a museum. Being a popular tourist attraction, the fortress is being kept in repair.
    Read more