Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Cultural Geography

    February 13 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    While the Antarctic does not have permanent human residents, the region is a busy outpost for a variety of research scientists. These scientists work at government supported research stations and come from dozens of different countries. The number of scientists conducting research varies throughout the year, from about 1,000 in winter to around 5,000 in summer.

    Researchers from a variety of scientific backgrounds study the Antarctic not only as a unique environment but also as an indicator of broader global processes.

    Geographers map the surface of the world’s coldest and most isolated continent. Meteorologists study climate patterns, including the “ozone hole” that hovers over the Antarctic. Climatologists track the history of Earth’s climate using ice cores from Antarctica’s pristine ice sheet. Marine biologists study the behaviour of whales, seals, and squid. Astronomers make observations from Antarctica’s interior because it offers the clearest view of space from Earth.

    Even astrobiologists, who study the possibility of life outside Earth’s atmosphere, study materials found in the Antarctic. In 1984, a meteorite from Mars was found in Antarctica. The markings on this meteorite were similar to markings left by bacteria on Earth. If this meteorite, millions of years old, actually has the remains of martian bacteria, it would be the only scientific evidence for life outside Earth.
    Read more