Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 1

    Antarctic Treaty

    13 de febrero, Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    The second half of the 20th century was a time of drastic change in the Antarctic. This change was initially fueled by the Cold War, a period of time defined by the division between the United States and the Soviet Union, and the threat of nuclear war.

    The International Geophysical Year (IGY) of 1957-58 aimed to end Cold War divisions among the scientific community by promoting global scientific exchange. The IGY prompted an intense period of scientific research in the Antarctic. Many countries conducted their first Antarctic explorations and constructed the first research stations on Antarctica. More than 50 Antarctic stations were established for the IGY by just 12 countries: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Chile, France, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

    In 1959, these countries signed the Antarctic Treaty, which established that the region south of 60°S latitude remain politically neutral no nation or group of people can claim any part of the Antarctic as territory countries cannot use the region for military purposes or to dispose of radioactive waste; and research can only be done for peaceful purposes.
    Leer más