Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Kusadasi and Patmos

    July 26, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Up at sunrise to the sight of Kusadasi, Turkey. The buildings at the top of the hill are painted in rainbow order. The city is so pretty bathing in the sun's glow.

    Once a year in the winter time, they hold camel wrestling competitions. They do it in the winter is because it is the camel mating season. This is a sort of ritual to fight for a girl but also to get family and friends together.

    Pine Trees fill the hills and they are not native to the land.

    70% of Turkey's money comes from agriculture. Pomegranates, peaches, olives, etc.

    Since archeologists don't know what the buildings looked like in the past they first have to sort and try and match pieces that go together.

    If they have fixed and vaccinated the cats, they clip their ear.

    There were only 2 entrances to Ephasus and I walked on one where Paul, Mary the Virgin, and many other biblical characters walked.

    Got to see the Library of Celsus one of the tallest ruins still in tact today.

    Greek Roman Theater. The Greeks built it, the Roman's expanded it. 20,000 people can fit in the theater.

    Cleopatra and Mark Antony walked the streets I walked.

    Only 10% of Ephasus has been excavated.

    Half a mile of silk in one silk worm ball
    Over 1 million knots in one rug that are all hand tied.

    The girls work in 30 minutes stints with 45 minute breaks. They work a total of 3 hours a day. Men don't have enough patience to make a rug.

    4 months to make small section of wool rug.

    The dust stays on top and no dents ever form. And the carpets are easy to clean.

    Patmos: Monastery was built in 10 AD. There is a murder wall at the only entrance. They would pour hot oil from above on intruders. No one ever overtook the monastery.  It was built with no plan and is 5 levels built on for 900 years. The Greek Orthodox still use it. 14 Monks live at the Monestary and that isn't enough to take care of the place.

    Greek and Russia have the same religion just a different language.

    The windmills were used to make flour.

    Patmos does not have agricultural exports due to lack of fresh water and the island is mostly rocks and hills. The people of Patmos have to pick up their water supply every week or so and every building has to have a reserve for water.

    There is only one high school in Patmos.
    Read more