Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Oahu.

    October 11, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    The big island! Landed in Honolulu which puts one in the mind of any big city, until you travel OUT of the city. We rented a car (terry picked the corvette 😎) and decided to drive the perimeter of the island. What did we find you ask? Abandoned cars galore, a huge feral chicken issue, and endless beauty! Yes, I did say feral chickens. Story goes a hurricane blew a ton of chicken coops onto the island and the chickens have been taking over ever since. I first noticed them at Home Depot, then on the highway, and don’t forget chickens on the beach!! lol. It was quite comical. But there is such a huge homeless issue there I’d say they may be utilized for dinner more that we know.
    Abandoned cars everywhere, all vandalized and most of them inhabited by the homeless. This story goes that people come to the island and can’t afford the cost of living, and when they can’t afford the cost to ship their vehicle elsewhere they just abandon them. There is also no scrap yard on the island. It’s strange.
    Shrimp trucks!!! We stopped at “Nigo’s at pier 38” as well as “Giovanni’s shrimp truck”. Both delicious!!! We had to follow the food with an authentic shaved ice from the famous Matomotos (they call to “shave ice, omitting the D”, but that sounds weird to me. It’s a Hawaiian thing to add sweetened condensed milk to the top of the ice after the flavor is on. So we got it that way, and it was Delicious!!!!
    I also HAD to stop at the authentic Waialua Sugar Mill and Coffee plantation. Very quaint but super cool! I got to see coffee trees as well a caco plants. The coffee beans are the red seeds from these trees.
    Mermaid Caves are a must see as well as North Shore. So this is a place where one day isn’t nearly enough!!
    I totally didn’t mention visiting Pearl Harbor as well as driving into the diamond head crater through a tunnel. Super cool!!!
    Read more