Satellite
  • Day 9 Okavango Delta

    October 1, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The day started with a light breakfast at 5.45 and we were in our mokoros by 6.30. Twenty minutes later we were ashore on a large island and we broke up into 4 groups with a guide and a supporter.

    It was a great walk in the cool of the morning and lasted 3.5 hours during which we probably walked up to 15 kms. During that time we came close to a herd of zebra, a breeding herd of elephants, up to 15 giraffe, a pair of wildebeest and a lone impala. Most satisfying but tiring.

    Damian had cooked a big breakfast for us on our return and then everyone either swam or found shade as the intense heat of the day kicked in. It must have hovered around the 40C!

    At 5.00 we roused ourselves and each pair headed for their poler and his mokoro. We were poled to a nearby pool and sat, among the reeds on the edge watching a large hippo and the sun setting. The hippo got a bit tired of our company and did a few mock charges before we strategically withdrew.

    Damian prepared another great dinner for us to eat around the campfire. And then the evening took an interesting turn as all 18 polers started singing and dancing for us - with plenty of ululating in between. It was great! And then it was Oxley's turn and to their credit the whole group got stuck in and sang their hearts out- including the Oxley hymn and the National Anthem .
    Read more