Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10 Back to Sitatunga Camp

    October 1, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Our time in the Okavango Delta had come to an end. Tents came down and day packs filled before we had breakfast. Then it was a case of loading everything that we had brought into the 9 mokoros. It was sad to say goodbye to our island but the experience had been fun.

    On our pole back to Boro, along the channels created by hippos or mokoros, there were water lily flowers and the occasional pretty pink blossom. Overheard the early morning small planes, that had departed from Maun for delta lodges, roared passed. And we saw buffalo.

    At Boro we formed a chain to unload and stack all our equipment as we waited for our truck to arrive. We watched the departure of many mokoros taking their visitors out for a Delta experience.

    Eventually the Delta Rain truck arrived and we loaded everything and everybody on board. At this stage we said farewell to our friendly polers and Matt made a short thank you speech before handing over our group tip to the Lead poler. A long bumpy, dusty ride to the highway followed and soon we were in Maun where we stopped to buy water.

    We arrived at Sitatunga Camp before lunch and learned that our tented accommodation for the next 6 nights had beds and our own ensuite. Luxury!! It was great to have a shower and wash off 3 days of delta dust, mud and sand. Burgers and chips for lunch were most welcome.

    It was great to relax in the heat of the afternoon with a swim or a snooze. Some laundry got done.

    At dinner that night, in the restaurant, after a filling meal, we said a group farewell to Damian and Bertus. Charlotte and Ben spoke of their appreciation of the important roles these two had played in making the safari part of our visit a success. Again it was sad to say goodbye but their roles in our visit to Botswana had ended and they departed for Vic Falls and another tour group and another adventure.
    Read more