Satellite
  • Day 36

    León Part Two

    September 27, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We have had a beautiful and quiet day. Lovely day, sunny but not too hot or cold when you aren’t walking, and despite a thunderstorm warning on the weather app (which also had sun and 0% precipitation, so don’t know what it was talking about).

    So we set off leisurely at about 10 am, had a little look around, and then spent quite a long time visiting this amazing cathedral. I had always thought I liked Burgos cathedral more, but today I think I have changed my mind. (I wasn’t in a very good space here last time, having just been bitten by bedbugs, and with a blistered foot)...it is a magnificent building...tall, simple, pure gothic, built in 50 years in a town of 5,000 residents. The stained glass windows are stunning and rival Chartres, and it leaves you with a feeling of calm. We also visited the cathedral museum and cloisters. Afterwards, we had a lunch of my special favourite - chiperones a la plancha - baby calamari on the grill, and went back to the room for a relax, collect kindles which we read in a nearby park....a true rest day.

    We miraculously ran into several of our Camino “family” during the day which was lovely and ended up having dinner tonight with 6 of us (more chiperones, and salad!! - they are divine). But before that we had a tour of the Gaudi palace here, one of the 3 Gaudi buildings outside Barcelona. Extremely interesting, and our guide was a passionate enthusiast, and well informed and entertaining. So the cathedral and Gaudi were the only cultural things on the agenda today, otherwise we rested and had downtime...very therapeutic. I have to confess that my shoulder has been giving me a bit of grief...the magic cortisone injection before I left didn’t last long, but with pills it is manageable, and feels best when walking and active...just can get uncomfortable at night. All the walking legs, feet, knees and hips work very well.

    Tomorrow we set off again, a 22 km walk, but not too demanding we hope. But have unpacked my sticks again, as it will soon be more hilly. Off to sleep..
    Read more