Satellite
  • Day 41

    Spectacular day - over the mountains

    October 2, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Today has been magical. We left Rabanal del Camino just before 8, almost light, within minutes the light changed and the sky was rosy, and the sun rose about 8.20. And it was cold! My hands again ached and I dreamt of buying gloves, but soon all that forgotten as the day warmed up. We are now high in the mountains, and we climbed even higher to the highest point of the Camino Francés - even higher than the crossing of the Pyrenees. But the climb, like yesterday, was not arduous, and the scenery so stunning, that we hardly noticed the ascent. In about 2 hours we reached the Cruce de Ferro - the high point where people leave a stone brought from afar, and have photos taken! From then on we walk along the top, about 1500 metres for quite a while, then finally there is the descent down the other side. It has been a cloudless day, and the views amazing. When we start the descent you can see Ponferrada, tomorrow’s destination, in the distance. SO glad it is not today’s as it is for quite a few people!

    The descent is difficult walking...loose stones, constantly having to watch the ground and not the vista! We were very happy to be staying at a little village - Acebo - which is half way down the descent. This is also half way to Ponferrada which is perfect. So we are all set in a small casa rural, La Rosa del Agua, and have caught up with Jessica and Janette, and will have an early dinner at about 6. All is peaceful and good. Kindle time.
    Read more