Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Train to Buxton

    September 18, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Another fun day! Amr and I started by having a walk along a cycling/walking track near Omnia’s house where we have walked before...as we were embarking on another train journey. Not such a long one this time, but involved 2 trains, changing at Manchester Piccadilly. Omnia drove us to Lime Street, and on the way we passed the famous Beatles landmark Strawberry Fields.

    Each train journey was about an hour, all on time and efficient, and we chugged through lovely countryside arriving at Buxton about 3.30. Gill and Bob met us at the station. Lovely to see them! They just got back last night from 10 days in Crete.

    Checked into the hotel and had a little walk in this very charming town. Had early dinner in a pub (pie and beer!) and went to the Opera House, a lovely old theatre, as we had tickets for an evening listening to Ranulph Fiennes. Gill had seen that this was on and we had agreed we’d all love to go. And it was absolutely fantastic. What a man! Explorer and adventurer, broken all sorts of records crossing Antarctica, circling the world on water and land via the Poles...and at 75 he’s still going. He was extremely funny, speaking in a droll deadpan way about his exploits. So that was a highlight. Tomorrow a full day here with Gill and Bob.
    Read more