Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Now at the Walk's StartingPoint

    September 21, 2019 in England ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We spent a few hours this morning in Carlisle looking around. A beautiful cathedral - 12th century- and a castle. And another cloudless day! At midday we assembled at the hotel and took a taxi to here - Bowness on Solway. Solway is the firth of Solway, the other side is Scotland. At low tide, which it is this afternoon, there is just a small amount of visible water, but fills up when the tide comes in. Such a delightful very small town, and we are staying at an extremely charming B and B, which was the old rectory of the nearby church and just round the corner from the only pub, the King’s Arms where we are having dinner.

    We couldn’t check into our rooms till 4 o’clock so we walked round the town, checking the starting point of the walk and enjoying the ambience and scenery. Quite a lot of walkers round, many who went the other direction from us, walked east to west, and have just finished! They say it was lovely, and of course they have had superb weather. I have already unpacked my poncho to have ready in my backpack! But meanwhile all is just wonderful.
    Read more