Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Day 4 of walking - now at Gilsland

    September 25, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    We left our beautiful hotel this morning and sadly I forgot to take a photo before we went...it was such a lovely place and worth of recording! Dinner there last was great, also breakfast. So they drove us back to Walton where we resumed our walk.

    Of course rain predicted all day, or showers etc, but we had none!! I never put any rain gear on, and occasionally there was the odd drop, but never enough even make you damp. So that was lovely, and I think I see rain on the window now that we are safely ensconced in tonight’s B and B.

    Today we walked 14.3 kms. It is hard to describe today’s walk specifically as it was more of the beautiful rolling countryside looking like a picture postcard. Sheep and cows, green hills. But we did come upon real Roman ruins, and a length of the Wall! And now we will be seeing quite a lot of Roman rubble as Amr would say. Also we crossed a fast flowing river, which has black water from peat, which once had a Hadrian bridge over it. We keep being told there is some strenuous walking coming up...climbing up and down rocks, but today was relatively easy. We did cheat now and then by walking along the road when the official path went parallel but in a field that was muddy and boggy after yesterday’s rain. They are quiet country roads, and the sloshing in mud isn’t fun!

    We are now at a village called Gilsland at a very nice modern B and B. Amr and I are in a room in the annex above the garage - just lovely, spacious, with washing machine and dryer!!! So you can imagine that is heaven for Amr! We go up the road for dinner at the local pub, where we had a beer when we arrived as the village, as the B and B people never want us till 4 pm. We booked to have dinner at 6.30...it seems that quite a lot of people eat there and the bar lady recommended to book...looks a good menu so here’s hoping.
    Read more