Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    First full day on Nordlys

    October 6, 2019 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ -1 °C

    All tucked warmly into bed after a hot shower...We had a fabulous day. First of all, this boat trip is much more upmarket than I had imagined. It is a working ship delivering things and taking on cargo etc, but as passengers we have everything we could possibly want very comfortably. Food is delicious, and almost exclusively specialities of Norway. Just come back from a superb dinner...orderly tonight at proper times and tables, delicious fish, lamb and dessert...We all have a key card that is necessary all the time - key to cabin, used to disembark and embark, to go to meals, to buy wine or beer...so we have it round our necks tied in a shoelace (most people have it tied to them!). It all works very well.

    Today we went through the most beautiful scenery that I think I have ever seen....but I know there will be more to come. Quite early we docked at a very small town where quite a few people left the ship to go on excursions. Carole and John did and said it was wonderful - they were bussed, went on ferries and eventually ended up back at the ship where we next stopped. We didn’t do the day excursion, but had signed up for an art nouveau walk through a small town, Ålesund, which had been razed by a fire in 1904 and was rebuilt in art nouveau style. Interesting and beautiful. That was at the end of the day as the sun was setting. Photos will show how beautiful. Also the amazing picture postcard scenery of fjords and mountains. So spectacular and totally different from our also beautiful Australian countryside.

    I think we will enjoy these 12 days. Tomorrow morning we arrive at Trondheim and there are many excursions. We are going on a nature walk into the hills (mountains!) with the boat expedition guides, and C and J are going kayaking on the river through the city which looks spectacular. Sounds like a good day. We stop at Trondheim on the way back south when we will have a chance to walk through the city then. It already feels cold....have been wearing many layers, but hope I have enough to add when we reach the Arctic Circle!! What a life!
    Read more