Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Another Arctic Day

    October 9, 2019 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 2 °C

    We are getting very accustomed to this shipboard life. Last night I was late to bed as there was a special very narrow fjord that we entered at about 11.30pm. Carole and John retired fairly early, and Amr gave in and went off to sleep but I really didn’t want to miss it so managed to last, and put on many layers of clothes and watched as we squeezed into this very small fjord - the Trollfjord - and there are many legends about it. We just went in and turned round, very tight navigation, and went out again, but it was fun - they turned on some floodlights to light up the sheer rocky cliffs on each side. Then I stayed out a bit longer to see the northern lights. These clear nights they are usually visible, but I have not seen it as a bright colourful sky, just a lightness and vaguely green.

    Anyway, this morning we had leisurely breakfast. Breakfast and lunch are buffets and no set time or table and it usually works fine. There are so many choices of wonderful arrays of food, it takes discipline to choose wisely and not pig out!! Abundance of smoked salmon and many fish options always, every form of salad and hot options. Not to mention sweet choices. At dinner we sit in our set tables and are served dinner - no choice, but usually very delicious and artistically presented small servings of a 3 course meal, featuring Norwegian specialties. So this morning we found favourite places to sit and read and watch the passing scenery as there was no disembarking until 2.15. We went through such a passage of gorgeous snow topped mountains, small towns perched along the waterfront here and there. Stopped to unload cargo at a couple of places, and finally arrived at Tromsø.

    We did not go on any of the very expensive excursions (if you are thinking in Australian dollars) - we choose these very judiciously! But we walked round the town, very pretty and surrounded by mountains. Being October some museums are closed (from Sept 30), and some shops and cafes close by 4 pm, but we had fun walking and being yet another fine day it was not unbearably cold. We did buy Amr a beanie (found a bargain for 49 kroner as opposed to the crazily expensive ones for sale on the boat.). I was worried about his head and ears getting frozen and he hadn’t brought a beanie with him, just his Tilley walking hat - not exactly suitable in the Arctic! And we finally found a bar open and had a wine and coffee before getting back to the ship. Carole and John had also wound their way back to the same bar, so that was fun! Now back and relaxing before dinner, and about to depart Tromsø.
    Read more