Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Sunday, more magic

    October 13, 2019, Norwegian Sea ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    It is Sunday, but we are dayless. We woke early today as we were booked to go on an excursion leaving at 8am. We got into a minibus at Harstad and were driven through the ever beautiful countryside, crossed on a ferry, and were taken to the start of a fabulous hike up a mountain - just a fairly gradual walk on a proper track, so not too arduous, and it was seriously cold and any potential mud was frozen! And very little ice to slip on, lots of frost...we were well rugged up, and with the walking felt comfortable. Magnificent views looking down, and the autumn leaves are even more colourful. At the top they always give us a drink of hot black currant drink...just delicious, and chocolate...rejoined the bus and were driven to the ship’s next stop.

    Then we went through the most spectacular scenery ever - all this we had passed at night on the way up. Just more high rocky crags, snow covered, dotted with coloured trees. And we went again into the very small Trollfjord which we saw late in the evening on the way up. That had been fun, but to see it in daylight was magnificent.

    So we continue on our way south. Tomorrow we again cross the Arctic Circle line, and will be back in more “normal” climes. This return journey is nothing like a repeat of our northward one, so glad we are doing it. When we stop at small places for half an hour or less, and even at the bigger places, we are surprised at how many people use this as a ferry. They go to the different towns, maybe visit friends or relatives...who knows, but people seem to come and go all the time. And if it is overnight, they don’t have to book a cabin, but can sleep in one of the lounges. Not many do this, but you see many families with kids coming for short distances. For us it is now home, and we will be sad to leave on Wednesday!
    Read more