Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    A Perfect, Peaceful Paris Day

    August 27, 2021 in France ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    What a lovely day! We planned just to wander round, not achieve anything or seek out culture…it’s now 10.50pm and Amr is already asleep beside me, so I can’t ask him to remind me of memorable things, but here goes…

    First, very importantly Amr went out to get a bottle of freshly squeezed juice. We found this small grocery that has a squeeze machine and you fill a bottle as the oranges squeeze and pay by size of bottle…perfect for us squeeze-aholics! So then we set off, had delicious pastries as only the French can do, and coffee, and meandered along the river towards St Michel, stopped at Le Petit Pontoise, a little restaurant we love and often go to (found originally for us by Cathy many years ago) and booked to have dinner there tonight. Then continued on, saw Samaritaine, a department store - used to be very run down but now totally renovated and gorgeous. Went in and I got my Chanel refills for my travel perfume! Can only get the refills alone here, everywhere else you,have to buy the whole thing, so it is always my Paris mission!

    Then we kept wandering - bought a baguette and some plums which we ate on a bench in the Tuileries, then walked in from the river towards Place d’Opera and had coffee/hot chocolate at a favourite cafe there.

    After a cruise through Galeries Lafayette we went up as far as Concorde then crossed over and went down the Left Bank turning in at the Pont Neuf to go to another favourite square - Place Dauphine for rehydration- beer and Campari …then by the time we walked further down the river it was time for our dinner at Petit Pontoise at 7. Lovely dinner, they have never let us down - starters were a snail cassolette and an artichoke and Parmesan tarte tatin which we shared, and Amr had fish and I had kidneys for mains…so perfect…and before you ask, Paul, we had a Pinot noir from Burgundy (to get us in the mood as we will be there tomorrow)! Walking back was so beautiful - it doesn’t get dark till almost 9 and lovely sunset looking back at Notre Dame - still being repaired after the fire.

    Now back and must sleep…felt a bit fuzzy at some stages during the day, but now unfortunately not too bad…half a pill and reading my book should fix it. I’ve probably forgotten some tidbit I meant to say…but will now add photos.
    Read more