Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    A delightful day - Argenton-sur-Creuse

    September 11, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Last night we had our Vietnamese dinner, lovely light meal, and lovely flavours that we haven’t had since before the lockdown in Sydney! Had breakfast in our cute little hotel - Hotel Élysée - which is on a corner by a roundabout. We of course had the window wide open, and there was quite a lot of noise going on when we went to bed - Friday night in the city, and people hooning round the roundabout…we are fairly used to noise and went to sleep, but in the early hours both woke to a lot of racket and closed the window - it was by then cool and airy - and there was absolute silence.! It was uncanny, realised there was double glazing on inspection, but it kept out every sound….Pity we didn’t realise it earlier, I would have overcome my need for fresh air!

    So this morning after breakfast at 9 sharp a taxi arrived to collect us and our bags. We were getting a 20 km lift to a tiny town so that we only had 15 kms to walk here - to Argenton-sur-Creuse….and the bags were carried on to the hotel! What a perfect system. And the walk today was also perfect…good signage, very pretty countryside through forests and rolling hills, and comfortable walking weather. We have finally, for the moment anyway, left the open expanses of grain fields, and walked through wooded paths, little country roads, past many castles and, being Saturday, we again even saw signs of a wedding at one of the castle entrances with flowers and names! Only 15 kms seemed a breeze after yesterday’s long effort, so we were very relaxed - had picnic lunch after about 10 kms, stopped for coffee/chocolate and wandered in at about 2.30. Hotel expected us, bags in room (excellent as upstairs, no ascenseur)!

    After the usual showering/washing and a bit of downtime we ventured out to see the town - it has been called the “Venice of Berry” so we were expecting something good. Well it didn’t disappoint - this is such a beautiful place. Venice made us think of canals, but there are none - just the Creuse river snaking through the town, and picturesque houses built on the banks, old bridges, just a lovely feel. And plenty of life, people out and about, enjoying a lovely Saturday. There is a high side of the town - a bit like Buda and Pest, and we climbed up to the high side where there is a chapel looking over the town. Then had a drink in the square and now back and relaxing before dinner, which is in the hotel tonight.

    Tomorrow should not be arduous either - 14 kms to Gargilesse, where we stay 2 nights. It is a small place, been named one of the “plus beaux villages de France “ so should be a pleasant sojourn.

    I will add photos here of the walk, and then make a separate entry for the Argenton photos, too many for one entry (you can only have 6) and they are so beautiful.
    Read more