Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Hagetmau - a peaceful walk

    October 11, 2021 in France ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Today was an easy 17 km walk, through now undulating country, and tomorrow we leave Les Landes and arrive in Pyrénées-Atlantique, our last department. And tomorrow we may start glimpsing mountains! This morning was cold (5°) and foggy. It was fine walking, but you wouldn’t have seen views, but I don’t think we missed a lot in the beginning. And I wore my down jacket till almost midday, when it eases up to very comfortable temperatures. But I still prefer to wear shorts..as long as the trunk is warm, the legs are fine and feel better.

    This is very much corn country and we saw one farm where there were piles of kernels ready to transport…the corn gets left to die and dry before it is harvested it seems, then they get all the kernels and mush up the leaves and stalks.

    Once the fog lifted it was beautiful, and we climbed high with lovely views, and through small hamlets. This town where we are is very pleasant and we stopped for a coffee/chocolate as our hotel is about a km further than the town, and we won’t be returning for exploration. While there one of the pairs of French women we’ve encountered arrived too and sat down with us which was nice as we won’t be seeing them again. The other pair, Anne and Michele, we will see as they left a car here at this very hotel, by coincidence, and will call in and say goodbye when they arrive.

    So we are having a quiet afternoon at this modest but very perfect hotel, and have dinner here, and I expect it will be good as it is a restaurant also, and the hotel is full tonight! That is a change!
    Read more