Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    St Jean-Pied-de-Port

    April 10, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    We have arrived at St Jean PDP, day 1 of our Camino schedule! Checked into the very nice hotel where we stayed last time after the Vézelay walk, and into the exact same room, looking out over the river…sooo good. The only downside is that on Wednesday when we start walking the weather changes, and it will rain and maybe even snow for the next 3 days!! The first 2 days are only about 12 kms thank goodness, so we will try our ponchos and cope. We have walked in rain before, and it may be showers by the sound of it, and at least we are warned and prepared. (And we could even get taxi if it got too ghastly!).

    But today has been delightful. We arrived at about 12.30, couldn’t check in till 2pm, and enjoyed walking round the familiar streets of this charming town. Walked around the walls, found the amazing spice shop..all looks quite different in spring…leaves just starting, and the severely pruned plane trees look gaunt till their leaves all come out. There is also a lot of wisteria looking very beautiful.

    Warm and sunny for the moment, and Amr went to a laundromat, quite a walk away as the 2 previous laundromats seem to have closed…so he gallantly took lots of clothes, and C and J’s, and we can now start afresh on our ventures. They were still damp, but a few hours on our sunny balcony and they are all dry…

    Now back from dinner…last dinner with C and J…they leave on the train back to Bayonne tomorrow, and head off for their cycling trip, and we start walking on Wednesday. For dinner Amr and I had a salad with grilled chiperones, very delicious, and shared our first taste of arroz con leche…yum. Tomorrow is going to continue with cloudy but fine weather, so we can have a good relaxing day.
    Read more