Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    A leisurely stroll to Logroño

    April 21, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    We really did have an easy day today! It was about 9.5 kms, and no hills to climb. We left around 10 so we wouldn’t be too early to check in to the hotel, or to be before the bags arrived. And we did saunter, and stop now and then to admire the view, and sat on a shaded seat to eat some bread, ham and cheese at about 12. It is all very familiar, and a very comfortable feeling to walk on the stone bridge over the Ebro river, and right in front of us is our hotel. We have stayed here twice before and are here for 2 nights.

    Although only one o’clock our room was ready and bags here…all perfect! So Amr did his thing and collected all the dirty clothes and took them to the laundromat!! He is very perfect for that. And we have lazed round this afternoon…walked round the streets of the old historic centre, found the little streets where they have excellent bars and tapas, sat in the plaza del Mercado for a drink, and another bar for coffee, ColaCao and croquetas, and have had a lovely afternoon.

    We are now in the Rioja - no longer in Navarra and Basque country - so the signs are now in Spanish only and not as many words with X that look unpronounceable! We will go out to eat fairly late as that is when things liven up. In the afternoon it is always a bit sleepy during siesta time, though always people sitting in bars chatting. Pilgrims visible here, but it is a city with normal people living their lives here, so we probably won’t run into many people we know. Tomorrow we will probably have a bit of a walk along the river for a little activity, but otherwise sit in a park and read etc…it may rain but it won’t matter.

    Just have to add that we strolled out at about 8 and it was a different place…all the tapas bars were open and buzzing, in the streets people - old, babies and all in between were out…we found our favourite place and were just in time to get stools and have our favourite chiperones a la plancha and pimientos de padron…bliss, and 2 glasses of excellent Rioja red…as we came back, via an ice cream stop, everything was buzzing even more…we learn that after a drink and snack they go home for dinner but I can’t imagine having dinner at 10…but guess it’s true…so good!
    Read more