Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Rest day in Sarria

    May 22, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Another rest day today, sort of by accident when making the itinerary, but worked well because R and R had had 2 quite big walks after arriving and another non walking day was quite welcome. And Sarria is a pleasant town, quite busy as many arrivals by bus and train, ready to start a camino here. We decided to have an excursion to Samos which has a famous huge monastery…it is on an alternate camino route between Triacastela and Sarria, but a bit longer, so we have never taken that route! Quite a short taxi ride, and well worth it…you have to take a tour to see it, and it was in Spanish, but a very nice guide, and she sometimes answered questions in English, or explained things…it is an enormous Benedictine monastery dating from the 12th century or the very beginning even earlier. And Samos is another rather nice town..lots of veg gardens - growing cabbages (the ones on stalks) and potatoes, and fruit trees. We had a drink in a hotel while waiting for the taxi back, and were given a complimentary tapas of paella! Just hit the right spot!

    Now some downtime - I found the bus station, and there is a bus to Portomarin, our next destination, at 2.15 tomorrow…I should arrive at much the same time as the walkers. Amr and I had a drink and booked the restaurant for dinner tonight…don’t know how busy it will be, but they seemed to think it was a good idea…and this is a very popular strip of restaurants along the river, just near our hotel.

    Just back from dinner…a great meal…Amr and I shared a big piece of beef that we had seen someone having at (late) lunch time, and it was excellent…thick and just done au point as we love it…a ferritin boost! I think I needed that. It’s starting to get dark, at almost 10 pm, so it must be bedtime!
    Read more