Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Back in Queenstown

    October 18, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Today was a bit of a travel day. We persuaded Rae and Jim that we would get the train and bus back to the airport, having found that there is a train station in Waikanae straight to Wellington, and a connecting bus on to the airport…it’s a long drive to the airport and so easy by PT…we did have a bit of a flurry at the station when we discovered that they no longer sell tickets there, you use an opal equivalent card or buy a ticket on the train, but they will only take cash…we have been tapping everywhere happily and didn’t have NZ cash, but Jim came to the rescue and we swapped for Oz dollars which Rae can use when visiting her sister!

    So we said fond farewells - R and J have been perfect hosts, and we have tried to be perfect guests and it has been a fun and comfortable few days. But it is also very relaxing to now just do our own thing! Our flight back to Queenstown left on time (2pm) and no dramas…it is today a beautiful day, the rain and wind have subsided which is good for flying in and out of both Wellington and Queenstown, which both have tricky airports. It was amazing seeing the snow dusted mountains so close to us as we descended into Q…not a lot of margin for error!

    So we made our way back to our little hotel and were again very happy…I think we have the best room - on the top (4th) floor, with an expansive view over the lake and mountains…perfect. After dropping our bags, we set off for a walk…I really needed some exercise, after a sluggish day yesterday, so we set off along the lake..in just under 2 weeks I think the leaves have grown since their spring green beginnings, so pretty…Today we went further than last time, and found there was a path that turned into a bush track, and didn’t stay at water level but rose way up above the lake giving fantastic views…quite energetic, but it was like being back on the Abel Tasman, and I think our legs were very happy and I was also happy to find it was no effort! And the circles on my Apple Watch were satisfied (which they weren’t yesterday!).

    I also have to mention that again Amr was complimented on his purple outfit! He often gets compliments at home and everywhere with his colourful clothes….but was particularly happy today when a woman said he was the most elegantly dressed person! His purple pants and purple jumper have been his only non walking outfit for this holiday so they have served him well!

    By the time we returned we just had time for a glass of beautiful Central Otago Pinot noir before we went for dinner at Madam Woo where we had booked on the way past earlier…delicious Malaysian food. Now back, washed and settled in our little nest!
    Read more