Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Now a day in Avignon

    April 17 in France ⋅ 🌬 17 °C

    Another cold and beautiful day and we spent it in Avignon. The weather forecast said rain in the morning in Avignon (even though cloudless here) so we put our little umbrellas in Amr’s bag, but of course it never rained! Got the train and arrived a little after 10. I had feared the station was a bit away from the hub of the town, but was right beside it, and all was easy. Headed straight to tourist information and got a map and advice, and tickets to the 2 main things we wanted to see…the Pope’s Palace and the Bridge - the famous pont d’Avignon from the song!

    Avignon is a lovely city, like a larger version of Arles, and busier and with more sightseers and buses coming to the enormous Pope’s Palace. They had moved there from Rome between the 1200s and 1500s I think (I must now read up the finer details that I missed in translation).

    Anyway, after a wander through the streets following a walk recommended on the map we went to the Palace, set high and is SO tall it is hard to photograph. Inside we went through enormous rooms, but all bare now, just impressive size, though some still had painting on the walls (but not allowed to photograph those). You get given a tablet to dangle, rather awkwardly, round your neck to scan in the rooms and it comes up with a description…much less simple than reading a sign, but being up to date I guess…so that was fun, and these buildings - there, and the Roman ruins - are giving us very good practice in climbing many stairs, and even our hotel is up 2 floors with steep stone steps, so hopefully we’ll be in good form for walking tomorrow.

    We then sat in the main square and had coffee/chocolate, and walked on to the famous bridge which was nearby. I hadn’t realised it was not a functioning bridge, but a relic to visit, but the part still standing is very handsome and restored. Building it was an ongoing process over the centuries and there were many conflicts, even wars, about who owned it and who should collect the taxes for crossing it! Quite a history. We have a photo of us both on the bridge looking towards the Pope’s palace taken by a nice Swiss woman (we have become very wary of anyone touching our phones - actually just Amr’s now, the only one)…

    After the bridge we really needed to eat so we then looked for a boulangerie, as we had already, before the palace, been to the wonderful market and bought cheese - for today, and for walking lunches. So we got a crunchy fresh baguette and ate it with some Conte in the park in the sun. Can’t believe I actually want to find a seat in the sun!! And we had fleece and jacket on all day. Quite windy as you can see from my hair standing on end in photos. We stayed there, reading kindles and content, till time for the train back.

    ….Just back from a superb dinner at a restaurant recommended by the hotel, that we booked as couldn’t get in yesterday…and tonight was also totally full by the time we left. But first on arrival back from Avignon we sorted out a bit, then had a drink at a nearby bar where the lady there remembered I wanted Campari with orange…nice to be remembered!

    Then we went to the restaurant and had such a delicious dinner…shared a salad to start, we both had a fish main - mine was salmon with soy, piquillos, cannelloni type beans, cashews..amazing combination and so good, Amr’s was another fish with equally delicious sauce - with tapenade…and we shared an apple dessert, baked, caramel, ice cream…a half litre of local red wine…all perfect.

    And another piece of good news - already the travel insurance has accepted our claim for stolen passport and phone and is paying cost…wow..excellent efficiency, and credit to Amr for getting all the required documents!
    Read more