Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 40

    Last day in Spain

    19 maj, Spanien ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We have had a fantastic last day, but now we are sitting at the airport, flight delayed by 45 minutes, so will write up now and try and remember what we did. Tonight we fly to Paris and stay at a CDG airport hotel for 2 nights, and begin the voyage home on Tuesday, arriving in SYD on Wednesday. So tomorrow we have a last Paris day!

    So this morning we first went to the best pastry shop, La Mallorquina, in Sol, and had THE best pastry, then off to THE best churros place, and had fresh OJ, churros, chocolate (the thick dipping sort) and coffee! So a very satisfying start. The Spanish pastries had not been up to scratch, but today redeemed them. Then we went back to the hotel to pack our bags, and leave there for the afternoon, as we had to check out of the room.

    Then we were free, and walked quite a lot. First to the Plaza de España where we sat down and had a little kindle read…always lots happening there. Today was a Ukrainian gathering…not a noisy protest as such, but they were singing what sounded like a national anthem…then as we were leaving we had to wait while a procession of vintage cars (20s and 30s Amr says) drove past, with vintage people, and honking their horns. Then we walked back up the Gran Via which for some unknown reason was closed to cars - normal later when we were there - maybe some important person was going to drive through…anyway, all very pleasant, lots of people enjoying Sunday morning…we walked down to the beautiful boulevards with a central park near the museums, then back and went for some lunch at the crazy and busy bar we were at last night.

    We picked just the right time, as we got seats outside in the shade, on stools beside a barrel, perfect view of the whole scene. So we ordered the wonderful prawns in garlic oil we’d seen being cooked last night (I think everyone was having them, they are so delicious) and we had a last serve of perfectly cooked chiperones a la plancha. As crazy as ever - so many people piling into the small inside bar that we thought it must lead to a secret dining room, but no, they were all squeezed in standing and eating and drinking!

    Then we went back to Sol and sat and read…need to finish the book reading book…then bought some mandarins and mineral water (necessities for Amr!) and picked up bags and made our way to the airport. Very easy and efficient by metro, and here we are at the gate with extra time on our hands, so will post this using the airport wifi.
    Läs mer