Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Back in Madrid for 1 night

    May 18 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Not a lot to say for today…we had a last walk round Córdoba in the lovely morning sun before getting our train back here…whizzing along at 270 kms/hr. Checked into our hotel, managed to outwit pickpockets in the metro from Atocha back to Sol (the same crowded Saturday afternoon line as a year ago! ) . Poor Omnia had a problem as somehow her booking (not in our place) had been cancelled…some stuff up, but she managed to get a room in an airport hotel which actually was better as she has a 6am flight…so we walked around, Amr bought some shoes, and we had a little dinner at a favourite Basque tapas bar, had an ice cream at a popular Italian helado place which always has a queue, and she got a taxi to the airport - easier than at 3am!

    Sol is always crowded, and this being Saturday especially so. And there was a pro Palestinian rally going on adding to the noise and people! Amr and I wandered round a bit longer, wandering via plaza Santa Ana, and little streets that we remember, and ended up having a glass of wine standing in a bar as we weren’t eating, and before we knew it it totally filled with so many people, and we watched the process of cooking the garlic prawns and much seafood on the plancha…we will go back tomorrow to eat ….

    Now back - Amr is still spluttering, hope the Madrid air will improve him tomorrow…still cloudless and beautiful weather. We needn’t have brought ponchos, or even umbrellas!
    Read more